About Me

My photo
Corpus Christi, Texas, United States

Monday, October 10, 2011

Title Change?

On a lighter side, this blog title "Broken Hallelujahs" is starting to bug me a little. I chose it because I thought it sounded cool, and because that song it comes from was such a mystery to me. I thought the blog should be kind of a symbolic exploration of that mystery.

I don't really know what the writer of the song was going for, but I take an existentialist approach to songs anyway. That mean that regardless of what the song's intention is, I take the sound of it and the lyrics, if I know them, and try to think of it in a sense that I understand. Why should a person sing someone else's song? They shouldn't. They should either make their own songs to sing, or warp other songs into their own. Of course, some songs are so wrong that they cannot be used at all, but some can be made useful if I just swap out a few words here and there. Many country songs can be turned into great worship songs just by changing a few silly words out for better ones. I could never sing in the choir because I would be changing the words all the time (and the tune, for that matter). That would be funny.

They way I generally view the position of the singer of "Broken Hallelujahs" is one of an enemy of God's eventual bowing to the truth of His Lordship. Or maybe it's that there can't truthfully be exultantly sung Hallelujahs, because Hallelujah means "You are exalted, and I am not." I don't know if the previous statement is entirely true. Maybe it's a piece of false humility to believe that we can't be exultant in the Lord.

In any case, the song is not complete. There is a time for the enemies of God to be humbled, and there may be legitimate place for them to then sing broken hallelujahs, but the next right(eous) step is to repent and believe. You don't stay in the broken hallelujahs stage forever, but must move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Does this make sense? Please honor me with your critique.