About Me

My photo
Corpus Christi, Texas, United States

Friday, June 25, 2010

Job Hunt

I still have to figure out what kind of job I should go for. I don't want food service. I don't want a truck driving job that takes me far from people for weeks or months at a time. (Actually I do want that, but it would destroy me more, and is not in line with goals or dreams.) I don't want a job that will end up being like a 24/7 job, where healthy eating, exercising and sleep become impossible. It has to be a job that closes at night. I want to keep some semblance of a sabbath day's rest, so I need something that closes down at least one day per week. The list of possibilities grows short.

Some kind of local driving job might work. Preferable it would be if it were not sedentary but required perpetual energy output, like delivering Coca Cola to two dozen stores, pushing a hand truck laden with hundreds of pounds worth of carbonated sugar beverage from trailer to store room.

Today I had the pleasure of doing some driver training again. Not in the big rig this time, but in the 15 year old Mazda protege with my brother Jonathan behind the wheel did I again feel the joy and challenge of communicating clearly how to do something to someone who has little prior frame of reference, and seeing him mostly get it right the first time. I wonder what the requirements and benefits are for being some kind of student driver trainer. Must inquire I.

Another wrinkle in the gravitational field of the job is my lack of transportation. I can not rely on the vehicles of other people, so a job within walking distance seems imperative. REALLY narrowing it down now, am I? If I could lose enough weight to ride a bicycle, that could widen my job market radius a smidgen. And I have this rash on my fore-arms that has continued to stick around and becomes inflamed when I spend time under the heat of the sun.

Speaking of that heat, I was curious today to see whether I could cook in the car. Yep. I've done it before in Florida. I would take my nalgene bottle, put in noodles, water, spices, veggies, etc and leave it on the dashboard or in the back under the direct rays of the sun. In less than an hour, it would be cooked (or at least very soft) and piping hot. Today I wondered if you could bake bread in the car.
Taking a cookie sheet, I placed an oven thermometer on it, and inverted a 13" baking pan over the thermometer, and left it to catch the direct sun rays on the dashboard, with the window rolled up, of course. I didn't have means to check the outside temperature, but I think the daily forecast predicted the high to be 90. An hour later, I checked it: just a hair under 200 degrees Fahrenheit! Now, that's plenty hot enough to cook steak. Stay tuned, and I'll tell you how homemade Mazda baked bread turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Does this make sense? Please honor me with your critique.