About Me

My photo
Corpus Christi, Texas, United States

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Simple Profound

I rarely come away from "going to church" glad I went, and not discouraged. Today was one of those uncommon days.

Often I have remarked that there are no great mysteries in life, and follow that up by saying that all the vitally important things in life are childish in their simplicity. The reason I, and others, find ourselves confused, frustrated, and lacking understanding is not that the lesson is too great for us, but that we have moved out of the realm of the childlike. Faith like a child's? I don't think there is any other kind of faith.

So, in the service today the teacher reminded me, and the others, I hope, of the simple profound truth that dreams, visions, and great intentions do not get you to the magical land of the spiritually successful. It's the stuff you're doing now that is getting you to where you will end up. That's it. So simple.

I tend to live the daily life, and each sub-event in it as if they were special isolated incidents, and don't really matter in the long run. Wrong! The long run is a mirage; it's untouchable. All you can affect is the things you do right now. If I dream of losing 100 pounds, I have to live in the now in the sense of doing things that lose weight: lots of exercise, no comfort foods, and moderate amounts of healthful foods. Love Jesus today. He's the one who said, "Each day has enough trouble of its own."

Remind me to post today's message when it becomes available. (Wednesday, I think)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Does this make sense? Please honor me with your critique.